This is an advanced course in proficiency English. The emphasis
at this level is on Speaking and Writing. This is where Oral and
Writing skills are further refined in preparation for English for
Specific Purposes (ESP). In order to progress on to Business Communication
courses, students need to master the appropriate level of proficiency
needed. However, this is not done at the expense of the reading
skill. Extensive Reading is still maintained although there will
be occasional intensive reading exercises and activities in class.
All the four skills are taught in an integrated manner. The methodology
is participatory in nature and learner centred. Students are
expected to play an active role in the learning process. Teaching
is activity-based. In this course, learning is by doing. Teachers
should design lessons to encourage communicative interaction among
At the end of the course, learners should be able to:
Expectation(s) of the Course Leader
- Speak English with correct pronunciation using appropriate
expression in a group presentation.
- Write argumentative compositions in about 200 words using
correct grammar and expressions.
- Read, understand and answer comprehension questions based
on a given reading text of intermediate level.
- Students are able to present in a 10-15 minutes group oral
- Students can use simple, compound and complex structures
with a maximum of 3 errors per paragraph.
- Students can apply the necessary reading skills learnt when
reading assigned texts.